Friday, June 29, 2007

Achieving Balance

Perhaps some of the Elder Stateswomen of the Dressage community can help me out with this issue.

Balance.

It's necessary for good dressage, and necessary for a good life. I find it difficult at times to balance the needs of my dressage life and the rest of my life. I feel a tinge of guilt turning my friends down for drinks and dinner on a Thursday night because I've got a lesson, or I'm in the throws of preparation for a horse show. I've discovered in my 20's that very few people continue to pursue time consuming hobbies as they get older, and thus the threshold of understanding for my non-work Passion is diminishing. I guess they're all gettin' married and havin' kids n' stuff.

Or whatever.

Luckily, my SO, Chad is very understanding of my hobby. In fact, he is extremely proud of me, and admires my dedication. He was even good enough to volunteer as the announcer for the LEC Schooling Show. That's love baby! He's really fantastic about my late nights at the barn and I'm so grateful. I just wish everyone were as understanding as he was. (Side note: the day after the Lancaster County Fair, I'll be cheering him on at his first Mountain Bike race!!)

But it's not just relationships, its housework and gym work, family and "Margo time." I want to dedicate so much of my time to this sport, but in doing so, other parts of my life seem to slide down the slippery slope of neglect. Perhaps I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I can't be perfect at everything, and maybe there aren't enough hours in the day for everything I want to do.

Acceptance. Balance. Boy, dressage is everywhere!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is more a "lifestyle" than a balance in my opinion. If you spent the amount of time riding and caring and training that I do you probably would quit. If you are getting along now on what you do, keep it up. If not, cut out that which you are not happy doing. Things like laundry, shopping, and doing dishes are pretty minor in the reality of life. It is ok to let the house go and go do what makes you happy.

The biggest thing is to NOT give up what you enjoy most for anyone. EVER. If significant others can't handle that, look for a new partner. If they accept what you do, they are a keeper!

A person has control over an awful lot of what happens in their lives. There is nothing wrong with saying NO to outings and staying home and reading a book! or going to ride, or going shopping or whatever.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Anonymous said it all! I feel exactly the same way! My SO and Hubby Mike, is a fabulous pardner! he also rides too, btw, but is really not a dressage afficionado! He does however back me up and support me in all my equestrian endeavors and has learned to be a great ground person! A person can only control what she has acutal control over; and that is making choices! I like to sum it all up by saying "horsework now, and house work whenever!" The laundry is eventually going to get done and ditto with the dusting and dishes! GO and do what you want to do especially when the weather is grand, because sooner or later there will be a day when doing the laundry, reading a good book and baking cookies will suit you just fine! Do what makes you feel good and don't make any apologies! If your significant other objects, well tell him/her to get a life and/or move on! Life's too short! That's my stand and I'm sticking to it! Happy Riding!
Dresagfan

Breeches said...

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give one thing back and aid others such as you aided me.