Thursday, August 23, 2007

Clinic-in-Review: Alison Sader-Larson

Last Saturday and Sunday, Reinbow Dressage Center and Pine Ridge Stables were hosts to a clinic by Alison Sader Larson. Dobby and I participated in the clinic and were pleased with the instruction we received.


 
Heidi and her mare Stella work at Reinbow with Alison.

In our two lessons Alison worked with us on becoming more forward so that Dobby's hips were in full swing. This was achived by taking the rail and pushing very forward, more forward than we would normally ride in our tests. After full forward, and throughness equally in both reins was achieved we went on to work with lateral movements. I'm sorry to say Saturday or lateral moves weren't that great.

Sunday, well, Sunday was a different story. On Sunday we maintained our forward trot but were able to achieve better lateral movements. Our shoulder-ins were wildly better, to the point that Dobby, Alison and I worked on Half-pass.

For half-pass Alison had me ride shoulder-in down the wall, then ask for a few steps of half-pass using my outside leg, then once he moved over 3 or so feet straight into shoulder in, and then a couple more steps of half pass. We had really brilliant moments. Very inspiring. Sunday we also worked on counter canter. Working the exaggerated forward trot the day before was extremely helpful in achiveing better quality movements all around. It will be an excersize I return to often.

Thanks to Kim and Ann at Pine Ridge for hosting Dobby and I for the weekend.

Also thanks to Heidi for bringing Alison back to Nebraska.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margo,
Thank you for the shoulder-in to half pass exercise. I love being able to read the reports on the clinics. More please.....!!!!

k

MissMargo said...

You are welcome Kimmie.

I promise to keep reporting on the clinics so long as I continue to be able to afford them!

Most clinics have auditing, which I believe is an important educational experience for any dressage rider at any level.

Anonymous said...

The trouble with lots of clinics in our area is we hear about them after the fact! In that case hard to go audit! I participate in them as often as possible!! Once you ride in a few you find out who fits your style and then the clinics are really fun and you almost become like family with the other participants!!

MissMargo said...

Just make sure to keep your eyes on the Contact. They usually have dates posted for clinics as well as contact people.

There was a story in the Contact about the Sader-Larson clinic as well as the upcoming Jan Ebeling clinic in the Contact.

Also be sure to check the calendar of events on the NDA website.

Anonymous said...

Yep have always checked the various calenders. Sometimes the information is recieved AFTER the event. Or have other committments (riding breed shows--which I love to do).

Tried the shoulder-in to half pass exercise. that works really slick. My pony was awesome at it!! Was lots of fun. Keep sending those exercises our way if you can!!!

MissMargo said...

If that's what you want, I'm afraid the Barn Blog will have to become a pay service, just like magazines, videos and lesson!

Ha ha! ;0

Anonymous said...

ok.........

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report on the Sader-Larson clinic at Reinbow and Pine Ridge! I hope to audit the next clinic but is there any upcoming clinics that aren't so cost prohibitive, esp for a lower level rider?! I did like the Shoulder-Into Half-Pass! Something I can work on with my training-first level horse for the future and to make him more supple now!
Dresagfan