Thursday, December 13, 2007

Holdidays vs. Horses

Is it just my schedule, or are the holidays positively THE WORST time of year to be a horse owner. Seems like there is never any time to get out to the barn, and when you are there you're thinking of 10,000 other things you're supposed to be doing instead of futzing around on your horse.

Last night I went out to the barn and rode. While I looked at Dobby's mane, grown out longer than I like it, I thought "No, his mane can wait until 2008" and put my pulling comb down.

Real life and horse life are hard to balance anyway without the extra burden of the holidays. When I get stressed, I want to be at the barn but when I'm there I'm not getting the other stuff taken care of. Maybe I should talk to Cheri about getting wi-fi at LEC so I can shop online while Dobby cools out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays everyone! Royal and I wish you the Merriest of Christmases and a wonderful, super new year in 2008! I have to agree with Ms Margo--when I slip, or is it sneak, off to the barn to destress by spending time with my boy, I too feel that guilty tug of "other things" needing my attention and time! What the heck am I doing riding my horse when I should be wrapping presents or writing Christmas cards? Don't get me wrong now, I love the holidays, but I don't like having an angel on one shoulder saying, "Donna, you know you should be finishing up those christmas cards" while the devil sits on the other saying, "Oh go ahead, ride, just for a little while; you need a break and you can finish the cards and the gift wrapping later!" Thank goodness the holidays come just once a year! Don't think I could stand the guilt trip! Dresagfan

Anonymous said...

I NEVER feel guilty for spending time with my horses. NEVER EVER. Doesn't matter if the holidays or anything else. They are part of my life and I would be so lost without them. We as a family spend hours and hours with the horses and as the holiday gets closer the feeling of peace and goodwill is deeper while in the barn than anytime spent buying gifts or any other material part of the holiday. After all, it was started in a barn to begin with, so why not be there and really feel the true meaning of the season.