Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Call

Yesterday while at work I got the call horse owners dread

"Margo, you gotta get out here, Dobby is down, looks like colic"

Oh god no!

Out the work door I went, home to change into comfortable clothes. I ran through all the varied possibilities of colic (Gas, constipation, sand...twist), and I reminded myself this probably isn't anything big. Dob's just gonna get tubed, he'll be fine. In my past I had a gelding die of colic, the sight of which has never fully left my mind. But I also had a mare who would colic with the change of season, and still another gelding who came to me from California with a sand colic. Both of whom lived long and happy lives.

I arrived out at the barn to find Dr. McIntyre standing by his Explorer, with his pad of paper, almost laughing to himself. After the show Dobby put on that afternoon, which consisted of: throwing himself on the ground, refusing to stand, walking like a sedated horse, you would have thought he was dying. But no, he just had some gas, and the dose of Banamine Cheri gave to him before I arrived pretty much did the trick.

I walked up to his stall to find my horse munching on what was left of his hay, slightly bloated, but otherwise, acting like the normal happy gelding I see everyday.

Ugh!

I was glad to see Dobby was in good shape. And I am so appreciative to Juan, our barn man for noticing Dobby's odd behavior, and getting him to stand up, Cheri(barn owner) for walking him, and Sybil (barn manager) for calling the vet and contacting me. I'm so thankful to all of them for working together, and for taking such good care of my horse when I am not there.

So Dobby gets more banamine today, and probably the day off. Over lunch and after work I'll go out to walk him. And after all this drama, I've gotten the medical community to agree with what I've known about my horse all along: he's a wussy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My horses are pastured. I often wonder what goes on when I can't see them. Probably best I don't know or my vet bill would be larger than it already is!! Glad Dobby is doing well!