Friday, May 25, 2007

Let's Talk Tack

Given a choice between folding my laundry or cleaning my bridle, I would clean my bridle every time. I am that rare creature who actually enjoys cleaning tack. At a bare minimum I clean my bridle and girth each time I use them. I use regular saddle soap, and of course I wipe all the gooey slim and disgusting green gunk off my bit.

It's a habit.

In my opinion, it should be every one's habit. I've tried to rub this habit (and sweeping) off on the young ladies at my barn, but to be honest, I'm not having much luck. Sighhhhh, if only I could get Gwen Stephani to come out to LEC with her Harajuko Girls and do a little song and dance number about the "awesomeness" of daily tack cleaning.

That would be dope. ;)

Regardless of your age, you should take your tack seriously. It's expensive stuff! Beyond the expense of it all, it's sort of uncomfortable stuff. However, the more you clean your tack, the softer it becomes. I can only assume softer means more comfortable for the horse (if you apply the Universal Comfort Theory of Penny Loafers).

It's not that much work, especially if you do it everyday. I challenge the readership of the Barn Blog to try cleaning your tack after each use for one week. I bet you'll be surprised how much you come to enjoy the process, not to mention, the lovely feeling of putting clean tack on your horse each day!

By the way, I would entertain an offer of exchanged services: bridle cleaning for laundry folding!

8 comments:

JameeLyn said...

I think when you are a working student and you clean 12 bridles a day, AND THEN still have to go clean your own....it's beaten into you. It's a habit I cannot give up...not that I would want to!! I LOVE the look of my cleaned bridles, wrapped and hanging neatly in my tack room. I am embarrassed (hey, we all have our demons!!) when the vet, the farrier, anyone, comes to visit and my dirty bridles are hanging on the cleaning hook.
Ahhh...the life of a dressage rider with OCD ;)

Anonymous said...

Do any of my fellow blog readers have tips on keeping your tack moist in dry areas? I live in a very dry climate and with regular cleaning, it's hard to keep the tack supple. I'm very weary of neatsfoot oil, vegetable oil etc. Thanks for your help!

Anonymous said...

I think a good quality saddle soap would help solve that problem.

I am really wary of "leather conditioner" products, I don't actually see that they work very well.

Though one of my barnmates swears by Leather CPR

JameeLyn said...

I have always wondered about Leather CPR.

I have always used a quality saddle soap with a damp sponge and then followed it up with plain old glycerine soap. The glycerine tends to "seal" with moisture. It's the old Pony Club method (really, read it in the manual ;)

A saddle fitter that I know also says to stay away from products labeled "conditioners" or "one-steps" as they may contain ingredients that are not good for your quality leather. She recommends a "treatment" called Leather Therapy.

Just my two cents. I am slightly jealous of your arid climate. I fight the opposite problem with mold on leather products because of the humidity!

Anonymous said...

Despite it's endorsement from the "Queen of Clean" I'm hesitant about Leather CPR.

It is a: a one step
b: sold info-mercial style.

I dunno, I don't think there is any replacement for good old fashioned saddle soap.

Perhaps Xhalt, you could create some humidity for your tack by storing your saddle and bridle with a wet towel, or a dish of water (a pseudo-humidifier).

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll clean my tack on teh week-ends but I have better things to do with my time than polish bits.

Sorry gals!

When I do find the time, I use Absorbine Horseman's One step. I've used it for years, and my saddle and bridle both look great.

Anonymous said...

I clean my tack on a limited basis. I think it can be overdone and that is as bad for leather as not ever doing it. I use Farnums Leather New. Have for years. It does a fantastic job, cleans, and keeps leather soft. Many of my leather pieces I have used for over 30 years, cleaned with Leather New, and they are still going strong. Obviously quality leather is a plus, but I even have some "inexpensive" leather items that have held up for years and years, some in the 20-25 years range. And I ride everyday in that ugly, humid climate we have here. The mold can be an issue and over cleaning contributes to that. Keep your tack in a well lighted area and it will help cut the mold.

XHalt, I come from a dry climate and always found Leather New to give fabulous results and kept my tack soft and supple. Might be worth a try.

I use neats foot oil on a very limited basis. On that, if you heat the oil in a glass dish in the microwave till it is warm, you get better results of it soaking into the leather. A neat little trick to apply to bridles is a small paint brush. Save the leftover oil in a glass jar with lid, put the brush in a plastic bag, tie up with a twisty and it will be ready for your next application and not leave any oil dripping all over and making a mess.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions bloggers!! You're very helpful. Will likely be cleaning tack this afternoon!