Monday, October 08, 2007

A Bright Shining Light Amid The Fog of Dressage

Reinbow equestrian center hosted a clinic by Jan Ebeling this past weekend. For the first time in years I was able to participate in the clinic, and I was thrilled. Nervous at the outset, but thrilled with the results.

Jan has one of the very best qualities a clinian can have. He is able to break down your problems to the most elemental parts and work with you until you can solve them. He gives you simple steps you can take at home, that are within your abilities to improve your own horse.

All the participants I spoke with seemed very pleased with their lessons. Virginia Mattson rode her lovely gelding Floyd on Saturday, and came back Sunday to audit. She exuded happiness "Lighbulbs! Lots of lightbulbs!" she could be overheard saying.

Heidi Basler rode her stunning mare Stella and a few of her client's horses. The mare is such a nice mover my dressage neophyte boyfriend commented that she "seemed to float." He also thought it was fun to watch all the different horses move.

Jamee Amundson-Folmer brought her gelding, Finale. They have really developed into a lovely pair. It is amazing how much can be achieved in one year. In one of the sweeter moments of the weekend, he asked about his favorite spotted horse with no tail. Durango, sadly had to stay home, so his partner can focus on the next generation. He was missed.

All of the riders in the clinic should be proud of how well they rode. I saw improvement in all the riders who I had a chance to watch. I learned a great deal from not only riding, but also watching everyone work. Way to ride ladies! I left the clinic on Sunday feeling happy and inspired. Lots of work to do this fall and winter. I can't wait!

Special thanks to Sharon Tepley for providing her lovely facility for all of us to use, as well as the great care she gave to the visiting horses. We apprceciate it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan's clinic on Sunday (only day I could make it) was super! So many nice rides and as usual Jan was succinct in his guidance and remarks! He's always so patient and never puts down a horse or rider but gives the rider/owner concrete and relevant exercises to improve their riding and their horse at home! Everyone I saw rode skillfully and the best they could! I was in awe of Margo's huge black boy, Dobbie! Wow Margo, you have some horse there! Yeehaw! I know you will do great this winter with him as now you have all the tools! I too left the clinic inspired and with new tools to use with my boy Royal! Great clinic, everyone!
Dresagfan

Brittany said...

I love your this blog! Do you mind that I linked to it?

MissMargo said...

Go right ahead!