Friday, November 16, 2007

Mothers and Daughters and Horses OH MY!

23 years into my career as a dressage rider, I come to find out my mother has wanted to ride this whole time.

Mom found a little black quarter horse he's not quite ready for prime time, but she likes him. I picked him up last night, now he's on trial with me for the next couple weeks. He can be young, but he's got to be kind. I don't care about looks, movement anything. Any horse my mom calls her own must be quiet. In spite of all the years on the side-lines my mother is a little out of touch with certain realities of the horse business, last night she was a little hesistant.

My initial thoughts are that a green-is horse, and a green rider is an awful idea. There is a lingering part of me that thinks maybe it will be okay, and they can both learn together. Of course it will be a lot of work for me to teach the two of them. The horse needs to learn, the rider needs to learn, and I'm the bridge bringing them together. Maybe though, it will be good. My mom and I will both learn how to communicate with this fella, and maybe, just maybe communication between mother and daughter will improve. Horses do have a way of breaking down barriers.

We haven't decided yet if we're keeping him yet. My mom hasn't decided how dedicated she will be to her riding. All she knows at this point is that he's cute and she really wants to give this a shot. Both of my parents have supported me in my riding all these years, even when I quit. My mother has been especially wonderful, I owe this to her after all that she's done I can share this with her.

For those of you who know my mom, wish me luck!

No comments: