Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Other Man

Like the good friend I am, I've been babysitting Durango for the past couple days while he stays at LEC. I feed him, take him for walks, groom him, clean his stall and assure him that his mother (Jamee)will be coming back for him on Monday.

The one bad move I may have made over the course of the past couple days was to put Durango in the stall next to Dobby. Dobby, is well, a bit spoiled and I maybe dote on him just a little bit. The notion of me talking to, grooming, walking feeding and assuring another horse is horrifying to him. I'm his lady, he doesn't want to share.

So Yesterday morning I went out to feed, and was greeted with nickers in stereo. When I was in Durango's stall, Dobby glared at me, when I went to Dobby's stall Durango gave me the evil eye. I can't say hello to one, and not the other. If one guy gets an apple, then the other must too...and on and on we go until finally I proclaim that both of them are acting like total babies, and walk off.

Multiplying my issues is the fact that Dobby and Durango also LOVE each other. I'm reasnably certain Dobby and Durango bonded over a mutual love of automatic waterers. I walked by their stalls, and they are both eating their hay under the waterer, or taking a nap, side-by-side. It was really cute until I took Durango out for a walk, and ended up in the middle of call and answer between Dob and Durango. Pathetic. Vice versa when I took Dobby out for Sunday Spa day.

It's funny how quickly horses form friendships, but then again Jamee and I hit it off right away when we met, so there should be no reason that our horses (who are reflections of our own personalities) wouldn't also get along. Durango leaves LEC tonight after his demonstration ride for Purnia Mills. Maybe when Durango hops onto the trailer he'll miss his dopey warmblood buddy just a little bit. I know Dobby will miss Durango. It's always nice to have your friends in town and sad to see them go.

1 comment:

JameeLyn said...

Durango wants you to know that even though he had to share apples with Dobby and you yelled at him in the wash rack, he had a wonderful time at LEC. He told me that he has never had better care!! He thanks you very much and I thank you very much!!